Monday, July 8, 2013

AFRAID TO BE CHILDREN

OUR LADY GROTTO
ON THE SIDEWALK OUTSIDE  A RESIDENTIAL HOUSE
KINGSLEY AND THIRD, KOREATOWN, L.A.
THERE ARE ALWAYS FLOWERS, CANDLES BURNING, PHOTOS...


TO THE LEFT IS THE HOUSE TO WHICH THE GROTTO IS "ATTACHED"

Thomas J. Neal, Ph.D. is Academic Dean and Professor of Spiritual Theology at Notre Dame Seminary in New Orleans.

Here's an excerpt from a recent post called "Afraid to Be Children." He's quoting a friend, who was reflecting on a quote from  Jean Vanier, founder of L'Arche):

I find that so many people who find themselves in places of authority, or in the public eye in the church, forget how to be children in the way Jesus asks us to be: simple, self-forgetful, present to the moment, trusting, honest, innocent, and desirous to be loved by the Father as beloved sons and daughters. They want to be leaders without first being servants; to be fathers or mothers without first being sons and daughters.
Read the full post here.



3 comments:

  1. I wish I had lovely and earnest young men in my life! ;) lol

    --this was probably not the type of comment you were hoping for, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean Vanier is a living treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to add that children possess a gratitude adults seem to have outgrown or disposed of...

    At times I wonder if it's anything more than immaturity, but I really am grateful for my ability to become like the child described here... simple, present, innocent, and honest and particularly desiring to be noticed and loved by God.

    The last part, my desire for God hasn't to this point been fulfilled by His love, but I've vowed to spend the upcoming six months asking God what He thinks of me and if He is proud of me, and listening and waiting on His response. The terrifying thought of Him remaining silent has already brought me to tears.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!