Friday, May 10, 2013

MALVERN



I am at the beautiful Malvern Retreat House in Chester Cy. Pennsylvania, poised to lead a Matt Talbot weekend retreat for women.

Matt Talbot (1856-1925) was an Irish drunk who was struck sober, became deeply pious, died 40 years later on a Dublin street, and was found to have all manner of chains and cords tied about his body.

My way has been a lot easier and a lot softer but I am in deep solidarity the suffering of all alcoholics.

The 125-acre grounds have grottoes, woodland trails, and Stations of the Cross.




THE DOGWOOD AND AZALEAS ARE IN BLOOM


THE SIXTH STATION OF THE CROSS
VERONICA WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS 

9 comments:

  1. Strange - the shadow doesn't look at all threatening - quite gentle in fact! I hope all goes well with the retreat - they're blessed to have you! I will pray for all you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Having been blessed with almost 25 years of recovery I treasure your writing on line and in the Magnificat. I'll pray that HIS truth speaks thru you. Your insights are a very special gifts us struggling Catholics. Hope you come to New York some day ...Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benevolent or not, I think I would have died from fear to see that shadow. Wonderful you were able to get a photo. Malvern is not very far from Philadelphia and a beautiful place where I have spent considerable time. Enjoy and thanks be to God for the anniversary you had this week.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the anniversary, Heather. Do you have any plans for a meetup with your Philadelphia area readers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, twenty-six years is a long time. That's an incredible feat. Congratulations and may you be able to continue in sobriety for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, dear people! Lee, I'm back in L.A. already, was just in the Philadelphia area over the weekend, but just loved it--so maybe I WILL be back one of these days...NYC may beckon as well...as the wind listeth...I so appreciate your readership and support-

    ReplyDelete
  7. That shadow, looks like Padre Pio.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!