Wednesday, May 29, 2013

BECOMING LIKE LITTLE CHILDREN


"I have too often been wounded by ‘intelligent’ people, disconcerted by unloving champions of orthodoxy or by self-advertising revolutionaries who are incapable of an act of humility.

Wishing to protect my poor soul from the babble of useless talk, I took up once more the simple rosary that my mother had wanted me to recite daily when I was a boy...I put more and more faith in the simplicity of the Gospel, and I can appreciate the concern of Christ when he said to his friends: ‘Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.’

To become like little children is not easy for men as riddled with pride as we are; that is why Jesus warned us so uncompromisingly: ‘You will never enter!’

I realize that no one will believe me, but I have no hesitation about affirming that a serious beginning is made in the spiritual life the moment a man makes a genuine act of humility. So often for most men the early stages of faith, or, in the case of others its development, is blocked, poisoned, distorted, or relegated to an everlasting tomorrow by our inability to become like a little child and to cast ourselves, in the spirit of a child, into the enfolding arms of God’s mystery.

We try to show God how clever we are, when no class of men is so abhorrent to the Gospel; we want to lay down conditions to the Eternal and Infinite One, but the Infinite does not respond, and the Eternal allows time to destroy us."


--Carlo Carretto, In Search of the Beyond


UTILITY BOX,
SIDEWALK, EAST SIDE TROPICAL CAFE,
SILVER LAKE, LA
ARTIST: VICTOR BALOGH


2 comments:

  1. I love Carlo Carretto.

    I think of St.Francis kissing the leper and Charles de Foucald being told to kneel by his confessor.Carretto's observation about a first act of humility may be correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, Sharon--as an alcoholic, for me that was hitting bottom and realizing that, smart though I thought I was, I was powerless to stop drinking by myself...that fact is central to my existence, and keeps me if not humble, than at least profoundly grateful. I love Carlo, too--

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!