Monday, April 29, 2013

TO LIVE IS CHRIST




"To me, to live is Christ."
--St. Paul, Phil. 1:21

I loved running the series on Catholic Worker Dennis Apel [here and et seq].

To lay your whole life on the line for all the world to see, as Dennis did, takes tremendous courage: just consider for a moment if you'd be willing to do that yourself. In so many words, he said, "This is my faith. This is the account I can give of myself as to how I am doing for the least of these."  

To offer up your full name, your face, your place of work, your family, your personal history, your mistakes, and your holy, if forever imperfect, longing to the world--on your time and your dime--is not for the timid.  To open your heart only, as is sometimes the case, to have it be put under a microscope, and judged, and flayed, and scorned requires a tremendous capacity to absorb pain without lashing back.

Writing is how I lay my life and heart bare.

"Look, look!" I say. "This is what I've discovered! This is what I see!" 

How can I even describe my work, what I do, what I am?

I can't. I can only say: To me, to live is Christ.





ARLINGTON GARDEN, PASADENA
"Poppies...poppies will put them to sleep....poppies..."

THE GOLD ONES ARE CALIFORNIA POPPIES, OUR STATE FLOWER


13 comments:

  1. Thank you for confirming me in my vocation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Heather,
    I am so glad you have listened to your call to write! This could be the best thing you have ever written. Or maybe I should just say it this is exactly what I needed to read today. You spoke directly to my heart.

    Also, it being the the feast of St. Catherine of Siena- who listened and responded to the extraordinary things she was called to do... including WRITING LETTERS..... hmmmm. Nice coincidence, as usual. Deo Gratias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful wonderful wonderful. What a great reminder that all those thoughts of 'I'll go and join such and such community, I will go and volunteer to give such and such talk, I will go and pray for hours at a vigil, I'll go and save the world...' etc. etc. says so much more about my ego that what Christ is necessarily calling me to. In my case, I'm called to be faithful as a single parent who works 5 days a week. That's plenty to be going on with!
    Thank you. To live IS CHRIST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful wonderful wonderful. What a great reminder that all those thoughts of 'I'll go and join such and such community, I will go and volunteer to give such and such talk, I will go and pray for hours at a vigil, I'll go and save the world...' etc. etc. says so much more about my ego that what Christ is necessarily calling me to. In my case, I'm called to be faithful as a single parent who works 5 days a week. That's plenty to be going on with!
    Thank you. To live IS CHRIST

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am grateful for your vocation-- your writing is a salve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plant California poppies every year in hopes of having a little home here at Wits End

    ReplyDelete
  7. "How can I even describe my work, what I do, what I am?"

    Because I cannot and will not presume to answer for you, dear Heather, I will answer on behalf of myself only, only please know this is not with a cocky certainty but with a hopeful trepidation to will it into being with abandonment to Providence (sheesh, wordy):

    My answer to "How can I even describe my work, what I do, what I am?" is:

    "By the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace in me has not been fruitless" - I Corinthians 15:10 and

    "All these rely on their hands, and all are skilful in their own work...But they maintain the fabric of the world, and their >concern is for[r]< the exercise of their trade." [r] Sirach 38:34 Syr: Gk >prayer is in<

    For brevity sake I only quoted the book ends of Sirach 3*:31-24 but the whole of it inspires and informs be. I fist found that latter passage several years before becoming Catholic. It was on an Anglican Christian's arts site. I went to my bible to try to find it but of course, I could not. I believe something of a crack opened in the door of my soul right then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love you, Heather. Sharing this where I can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you, Heather. Sharing this where I can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, your vulnerability here and in your books is such a gift. Your words convict, encourage, inspire, make one step back and reconsider their actions, beliefs, and place in this world in a way which betters them.

    As I prepare to go about my day I intend to be mindful in asking, as you did, how I can be helpful and in what ways I can be kind. Thanks for bringing some further purpose to my day... or, of reminding me of that which can bring purpose.

    Blessings to you, dear Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In Him... Every word counts...every thought matters...as does every deed... Thank you for the light you share

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!