Saturday, April 6, 2013

MY WRITING CLASS

KARIN
Every Saturday morning, 9 to noon, since last September, I've taught a "Master Rewrite Class."

This last 13-week session the students were three. Karin, a travel writer, is writing a memoir about the two years she spend in Vietnam with her husband and 8-year-old kid trying to get back on their feet after the 2008 crash.

Rafi is writing the great American political espionage/child-kidnaping thriller.

RAFI

Somehow this last in particular puts me in mind of Diane Arbus:

JEWISH GIANT AT HOME WITH HIS
PARENTS IN THE BRONX,
Diane Arbus, 1970
Our third member, a wonderful novelist, had to leave early but the gorgeous orange tulips he brought  have graced my room all week.



These students were great. They showed up on time. They worked hard. They were dedicated and prepared. They were respectful of each other and of me and I'll miss them.

Happy Writing, guys. And you'd BETTER invite me to your book parties!

6 comments:

  1. I had a book party for Rahnuk but I was the only attendee :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over how great your glasses are! Adorable!

    And then that jacket, combined with the red lipstick and the glasses!?!!! Superb! You're rockin' Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, you looked awesome! And, so do your students! And, yes, I do agreed with Alicia about the glasses, with the red lipstick wearing that leather jacket. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, you looked awesome! And, so do your students! And, yes, I do agreed with Alicia about the glasses, with the red lipstick wearing that leather jacket. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I notice you're all in socks! Do shoes inhibit the creative process? My guess is that you were doing some totally rad creative exercise involving lights, drama, writhing on the floor, yelling freely and pretending to be fairies. Is it so? Or does everyone who enters a public building in LA have to remove something, and you demurely chose shoes? Or is it because you just respect the beautiful polished wooden floors? Or were you teaching them *petit jetes*? Or you gave one another foot massages, as one does in California..? One just can't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was teaching petit jetés.

    Good eye, Jane! No, really, we were meeting at someone's house and were requested to remove our shoes in order to protect the floor. I personally like to keep fully shod, clothed and if possible veiled at all times...

    Thanks for the compliments, folks! Rafi's camera was extra kind...AND he's a professional photographer...good egss, those students...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!