Saturday, March 16, 2013

I LOVE, THEREFORE I AM

SUMMER, THE LOWER EAST SIDE
WEEGEE, c. 1937
 "I sometimes worry that I'm not doing something truly important with my life. Caught up in day-to-day trivialities, it doesn't seem that I accomplish that much...

To be loving is to be fully alive. To be fully alive is to use all the splendid faculties of my personality in every area of my life.

As I grow in love, I worry less about doing something important. Instead, I stretch my abilities as far as they can take me. My action is now the spontaneous expression of a loving heart. I have done more in the past year as a result of working my program than in the previous ten without it. To me there is nothing more important I can do with my life than becoming more loving and spiritual.

Thought for the Day
When I start feeling unaccomplished, I will remember that loving myself is the greatest accomplishment of all.

"I used to believe thinking was the highest function of human beings....I now realize loving is our supreme function. The heart precedes the mind."

--The March 5 entry for Hope for Today, a publication of Al-Anon Family Groups

THE KISS,
WEEGEE, c, 1940

5 comments:

  1. “I love, therefore I am.”

    So, so much better than the “I think” version. And, dang, I’d never thought of it before.

    And, oh my, but the Web is a wondrous thing. I found a song with that for a title by a young man who wrote it while/after serving with Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity in India. You can listen to it here.

    Then I searched on his name, Jon Schommer, and found what he posted on a University of Notre Dame site after he returned from India.

    He had a very hard time coming to terms with the beggars he encountered, but then,

    “Eventually, their loving proclamation of God’s kingdom broke through my selfishness. I found that these beggars who seemed so other and different from me, are human just as Christ is human. I found that their suffering was the thirsting of Jesus on the cross, and I could quench their thirst bit by bit by giving up my attention or by offering a ukulele song to share a moment of joyful humanity with them. And in turn, they quenched my thirst—my loneliness—with their genuine joy.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why I even bother reading any other blog is beyond me. Thank you again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,

    Weegee's "The Kiss" is going down as one of my all time favorite pictures. I am glad you found it and posted here. Every once in a while I come across an image that stops me dead in my tracks. That picture is now on my list.

    So where/how are you spending Holy Week and Easter? And I am glad you had such a good experience in Pittsburgh. I am a PA (Erie) native, myself! Blessings to you and all of us Shirt of Flame readers for a fruitful Passiontide and joyful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There it is. Nothing left to add. There are our instructions in clear language. Let's not waste another minute....go out and share the love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a page out of that Al-Anon book every morning. Without being "religious," I swear it's some of the deepest religion I know...

    I saw Weegee's "The Kiss" at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh. I'd seen the one of the kids in the fire hydrants but this one was new to me: I, too, stopped dead in my tracks...

    It takes me two weeks to process one week away from home, so I've returned to L.A., spent last week in Palm Springs, and am now back in my beloved cell for the last two weeks of Lent. Where I can mull it ALL over. And I hope share some with you all...

    Reeling with gratitude for and a sense of challenge from our new Pope...voluntary poverty and contemplation...as Dorothy Day said, "Love is the measure"...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!