Saturday, March 2, 2013

THE BURGH, FOR SISTER MARY FIDELIS

ONE OF PITTSBURGH'S ZILLIONS OF BRIDGES
Last fall, as you may or may not remember, I made a bit of a retreat with the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration at Our Lady of Solitude Monastery in Tonopah, Arizona.

The good sisters, Sr. Mary Fidelis in particular, welcomed me most beautifully. I stayed more or less in silence but around my fourth day there I asked if the two of us could chat a bit. So we sat down in a comfy room off the sanctuary and I went off on a typically tearful riff about my sordid past, my conversion, and the tragicomedy of my ongoing "pilgrimage."

"S-, so," I finally sniffled, "how did you end up as a nun? Are you a cradle Catholic?"

Sr. Mary Fidelis broke out in a friendly guffaw. "I'm from Pittsburgh," she said. "In Pittsburgh you emerge from the womb a Catholic, and a Steelers fan."

I'm in Pittsburgh for the week. The other day my host, Kevin Mongrain from the Gailliot Center for Newman Studies, was giving me a tour of the greater downtown area. We were just pulling into The Strip District when I checked my phone: an email from Sr. MF herself!

Heather,

Saw you are in Pittsburgh now. Yay. I am a Pittsburgh native and love every last inch of it...

I pray your time there is blessed. If you can try to visit St Anthony's relic church. And for a very Pittsburgh flavor, visit Primanti Brothers or Wholey's Fish Mart! Oh have fun!!!

Lenten blessings from the desert

Sr Mary Fidelis


I thought Wholey's Fish Mart, I wonder where that is?...And just then I glanced up and I swear we were parked in front of Wholey's!

I know what it is to be homesick. So here are some pix of The Strip, with Lenten love, for Sister Mary Fidelis.



WHOLEY'S FISH MART
JIMMY SUNSERI
HI I'M WILLING TO GO TO ANY LENGTHS FOR THE POOR CLARES,
EVEN BE A PATHETIC TOURIST!
ENRICO BISCOTTI

STEELERS  ARE FOOTBALL, RIGHT?

10 comments:

  1. I was only in Pittsburgh once, for two days of meetings and a couple of dinners. Nice town and good people.

    Really like the new colors you've come up with for your blog's layout -- very classy and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather! Just saw the blog. How absolutely delightful! The picture of you with 'Jimmy Sunseri' evoked a good ole fashioned belly laugh! It's so Pittsburgh! LOVE IT! You are a hoot. Thanks for the blog. You made my day...maybe even my whole month! Glad the 'Burgh has given you a proper welcome. Enjoy! Sr Mary Fidelis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, you looked so happy!! So glad you are enjoying yourself! And, made someone's day--Sr. Fidelis. Finished reading "Shirt of Flame". Just loved the fact that I must do things that pleased myself, that will make me happy. Then God and I can work together, and His Love will spread. hah

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are enjoying Pittsburg Heather, as a "central" PA native..definitely one of my favorite cities. But now I live on the Jersey Cape, so Philly is my city..very different from Pittsburg, but amazing history and culture. When you come to Malvern you will get to experience the "other side" of PA. We Pennsylvanians are very diverse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Heather,

    off topic but oh how I wanted more dope on that politically incorrect ceeGAR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo of you and Mr. Stogy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photo of you and Mr. Stogy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My what GREAT glasses!!! - and that scarf!!! Heather, you're a doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And your "STEELERS ARE FOOTBALL, RIGHT?" question made me laugh. I once asked my cheering at the television family members "Oh, did the Pistons score a touch-down?" - a question I've not yet lived down!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!