Monday, February 25, 2013

LENT IS SO SOMETHING CAN HAPPEN FOR OTHER PEOPLE






The other morning at Mass the priest gave a homily about fasting. He pointed out fasting is not I'm going to eat less during Lent so I can look good in my bikini this summer. Fasting is not I'm going to spend less now so I can save more for my retirement. Fasting is eating less and with the money you save taking someone (even better if someone who doesn't get to go out much or who you find difficult) to dinner.

The goal is not to get something to happen for us, but to surrender our will and our lives so that, through us, something good or hopeful can happen for other people.

Afterwards, I thought how that is the goal of work, relationships, and all of life. When you're married, you may not feel like being faithful, but you're faithful out of love--not love as a melting emotion, but love as a choice, love as a policy almost. There is something in it for us, too, of course. There will be enough money, enough time, enough love for us. But we get to make the goal other people...




PRETTY PINK TREE ON GLENDALE BLVD.
IN ATWATER VILLAGE--WHAT IS IT?
NOTE PARTIALLY-OBSCURED "JESUS ANSWERS PRAYERS" SIGN,
BOTTOM PIC

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pink and yellow flowers. Another occasion of So Cal jealousy for me.

    Love--contrary to internal and external messaging--is not an emotion. This trips us (me) up all the time. Love is an act of will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very profound and helpful as to what fasting really is. The pictures of the flowers are beautiful. Thanks for this reflection.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Heather,
    Someone ask me recently, presuming overly much, why I put up with the abuses, why I don't just go to the TLM which is held each Sunday in our own parish ? (though they are not a part of our parish).

    I think as good an answer as any would be "The goal is not to get something to happen for us, but to surrender our will and our lives so that, through us, something good or hopeful can happen for other people" which rather flies in the face of much of what too many self identifying "traditionalist" Catholics are all about.

    And now, back to the pretty pink flowahs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. On further reflection on your blog while in the shower this morning it spoke volumes to me on an otherwise dry spiritual morning.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather, it looks like a Pink Trumpet Tree: http://losangelesloveaffair.wordpress.com/tag/pink-flowers-in-los-angeles/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the new fonts and colors but I can't see the titles of the posts... It's weird I kind of miss the green though too even though I didnt like it a lot at first..

    ReplyDelete
  7. "We get to make the goal other people" Indeed. JOY: Jesus, Others, You. In that order.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowers are beautiful.
    For me, fasting is not about giving up a favorite food (aka chocolate.) It's trying to be less judgemental and I hope the Lord forgives-because lately I haven't being doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!