Wednesday, January 9, 2013

WHAT SEXISM?


KARL HOFER
GIRL WITH AMARYLLIS, 1936
A reader recently e-mailed expressing interest in learning about confession so as to bring it into her (non-Catholic) circles. She had only one question: did the sexism in the Church ever bother me?

I replied, “What sexism?”

She thought I was kidding, but I was serious. I'm with Flannery O'Connor who said, "On the subject of this feminist business, I just never...think of qualities which are specifically feminine or masculine. I suppose I [divide] people into two classes: the Irksome and the Non-Irksome without regard to sex."

St. Thérèse of Lisieux observed: “I have found my vocation at last: in the heart of my mother the Church I will be love….like that I will be everything…and so my dream will be fulfilled.”

That is my dream, too. I can only witness to my own experience. The Church has never done anything but support that, encourage that, and help to make that possible.

VERMEER
GIRL READING A LETTER AT AN OPEN WINDOW, 1657-59

2 comments:

  1. this is spot on Heather, thanks. I am wrestling with some friends on the issue of loyalty and love in the funny Church. It helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while after my conversion to realize that it is not the pope, the hierarchy, good ones or bad ones, that carries the Church. Rather, it's its saints. It seems to me that what the Church, the world really, needs right now, is saints.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!