Wednesday, October 31, 2012

GET OUT THE POPCORN: HOMICIDAL AND STRAIT-JACKET

I can't stomach the violence in any kind of Mafia movie or war movie or fight movie but for some reason I am crazy for women-gone-loony black-and-white sixties flicks: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte, The Nanny. ..

If you have any bent in this direction at all, you have got to check out this insanely over-the-top William Castle double feature (available on netflix).

Here's Joan Crawford in STRAIT-JACKET (1964), fresh out of the asylum for the axe murders she committed twenty years before.



Another super weird 1961 creepfest starring Joan Marshall/Jean Arless: HOMICIDAL.


At the climactic moment, Castle breaks the fourth wall and introduces a "Fright Break!"


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

7 comments:

  1. So you like psychological terror as opposed to straightforward violence? I have trouble with both. I recently went to see the 1960 film "House of Usher" starring Vincent Price which I thought would just be a cheesy campfest but it still freaked me out. The psychological mania of Poe came through despite the drippy red candles and puffy shirts. I had to listen to Christmas carols as an antidote. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, this kind of cheesy campfest is one of my many vices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't give anything away, but the ending of Strait-Jacket is fantastic. The makeup folks really knew what they were doing.

    Diane Baker was also in Hitchcock's Marnie in '64 (playing a completely different role), and years later was in The Silence of the Lambs. Still lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those flicks, and Halloween. Unfortunately the governor of NJ postponed it until November 5th. Halloween in November?? Some how it doesn't have the same feel. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never HEARD of a Fright Break! -- that was priceless. Thanks for the belly laugh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, Debra, somehow the eve of election day being the scariest day of the year seems oddly appropriate.

    :-)

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!