Tuesday, October 30, 2012

EXULTATION IS THE GOING OF THE INLAND SOUL TO SEA: HURRICANE SANDY

HAMPTON BEACH, NH
Jim Cole/AP
This is just the kind of thing we do for fun in a hurricane around where I grew up.

After I (admiringly) posted a video on FB re the "hardy, nutcase" Plum Islanders, out with their cameras in what looked like the eye of the storm, reader Lee Atker opined: "I think a distinction should be made about New Englanders vs. New Englanders who live by the sea. The latter seem a hardier-more-daring breed. I am more of an inlander, and not daring. I am right now thanking God that our lights are still on, and staying clear of large windows in my house, *just in case*"...

She could be right. Truth be told, I'm more of the staying-clear-of-large-window-in-a-storm type myself, and I have always loved looking at boats more than actually going out on them. Still, growing up by the sea does instill a certain wildness of heart. So from my safe (for now) perch on the West Coast, and with all sympathy to all who died and all who have been affected/are being affected by Sandy--

Exultation is the going
Of an inland soul to sea,

Past the houses -- past the headlands -- 
Into deep Eternity -- 

Bred as we, among the mountains, 
Can the sailor understand 
The divine intoxication
Of the first league out from land?
--Emily Dickinson

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday was a scary day here in New England. I guess I'm more an inlander at heart. After hearing all my grandfather's stories about the 1938 and 1955 hurricanes, I've never taken these kinds of storms lightly -- though the raw power and glory of a storm's fury can be breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went through Sandy in Cape May. Kinda Scary..our first official "direct hit" ....I can tell you most of us stayed. We're "locals". Our priest said Mass and my 1 month old grandson was baptized on Sunday afternoon, after "mandatory" evacuations. My daughter is a doctor, this was her only weekend off...she basically said, "come hell or high water, my son is getting baptized," and he was. The whole family turned out, and we celebrated afterward in a boarded up house on the bay. My prayers to everyone affected by the storm.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!