Thursday, September 27, 2012

PORTLAND MAGAZINE, POOR BABY, AND OUR LADY OF SOLITUDE MONASTERY

OUR LADY OF SOLITUDE MONASTERY
IN THE DESERT OUTSIDE PHOENIX
MONSOON DAYS
Wow, folks, it's been a rich, deep week. I can't thank you all enough for your prayers, your Masses, your rosaries, your lit candles, your poems, your words, your hearts on behalf of my mother, me, and our family.

We will have the memorial on October 20th at the United Church of Christ (my mother's old church) in North Hampton, New Hampshire, right across from 108 Post Road where we all grew up. I can't really get any handle on her death, and have just sort of been wandering aimlessly about all week.

I'm flying out Sunday to Phoenix where I will be picked up by kind-hearted volunteers "Cyndi" and "Phyllis"--I like these gals already--and ferried to the Our Lady of Solitude Monastery in the desert, there to spend until the following Friday in silence and prayer. My contact there is the good Sr. Mary Fidelis, a Shirt of Flame fan who (whom?)  I can't wait to meet. They don't even have internet available to the retreatants, folks! In my fretting, co-dependent way, I'm very concerned with my beloved blog and readers, so I'm going to work up a couple of posts and attempt to set them up to be published during the week. Unless my phone works out there, and actually even if it does, I won't be able to respond with my usual alacrity/hovering to e-mails and comments, but the timing couldn't be better and I am so SO grateful at the thought of getting to "process."

I have a review copy of Br. Joseph F. Schmidt's new book, Walking the Little Way of Thérèse of Lisieux: Discovering the Path of Love, and plan on diving right in...At least as importantly, I have made a Trader Joe's run and stocked up on dark chocolate pralines, vegetable chips, and dried apricots. I can only pray they have coffee there.

Meanwhile, in the interests of staying abreast:

Check out my essay in the Autumn, 2012 issue of Portland, The University of Portland Magazine: "The Really Dangerous Idea Is the Gospels."

Also I have managed to format Poor Baby: A Child of the 60's Looks Back on Abortion, previously available only on kindle, into a hardcover format. So order away!

LITTLE RIVER CHAPEL
NORTH HAMPTON, NH
THIS IS WHERE THE PROTESTANTS OF MY HOMETOWN WORSHIP IN SUMMER!

11 comments:

  1. Sr. Mary Fidelis is WONDERFUL - she spoke at the Phoenix Catholic Women's Conference a few months ago and she absolutely blew me away. I hope your retreat is productive and fulfilling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about timing!...It couldn't be better. Blessings abundant in surprising ways. I send you off with prayers, and plenty of my patience while you fill up the well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you are on your way to the desert, and to a place with the same name as the lovely church in P.S. Also glad that I'm not the only one who worries whether there will be sufficient coffee and snacks at the retreat house. My stash at Segovia in July included "Digestive" cookies, walnuts and dried fruits. ¡Buen viaje!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, peace of Jesus be with you. You will be in a beautiful place on the St. Therese' of Lisieux Feast. Nothing is by chance. God bless you extra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking about you.
    I relate to your aimlessly walking around. My Mom(my best friend) died in 2003. I miss her, terribly.
    Relax as much as you can at the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, I'm writing you from a Carmelite Monastery in North Dakota, where I have come with a friend for a brief reprieve. We ended our evening with homemade bread/toast and I dipped into my bowl of Almond Joys. You must have chocolate while on retreat, as you seem to have figured out as well. I just finished Shirt of Flame recently and loved it. Wishing you peace, Heather. God bless you in your grieving and processing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have to disconnect if you want to connect.

    AMDG,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I BET Sr. Mary Fidelis is wonderful! I have unravelled a few times this week--I'm the executrix of my mother's estate--so truly, I am looking forward to this retreat...
    Thank you all so much for vigiling, in your ways, with me, for the support, prayers and love...thinking of you all with your own private sorrows, and I hope a few stabs of joy, as well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That should be amazing!

    Getting away from things to have time for prayer and thought is always great - and getting away from the internet for a while is even better...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!