Wednesday, May 23, 2012

THE QUEEN IN GOLD OF OPHIR


Never let it be said that I do nothing but schlep around back alleys scavenging for discarded clothing, appliances, and beverages. No indeedy. Last Saturday, for instance, I motored right up Benedict Canyon Drive to the (Annie) Stein residence (Annie runs a mentoring program for foster care girls called Hershe Girls) to attend a show/sale of my friend Hilary Beane's jewelry.

Hilary may be the only person I know for whom the adjective "fabulous" 100% applies. I mean, really, where is Irving Penn when you need him?


We spoke of Tahitian pearls, bezels, black diamonds, people who trigger deep childhood wounds (i.e. everyone), Vietnamese noodles, and money.




I am putting a totally cool linked silver bracelet on the wish list for my 60th birthday. Because truly, if not now, when?

like this, but silver! 
As Dostoevsky said, "The world will be saved by beauty. Which means Hil is definitely saving the world.

All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

Kings' daughters were among thy honourable women: upon thy right hand did stand the queen in gold of Ophir.
--Psalm 45:8-9


For more of Hilary's stunning jewelry, visit Hilary Beane Design.

4 comments:

  1. Go for the gold! Go for the gold! Have Olympic appetites! Besides, you can always pawn the gold for more than the silver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Heather,

    Why am I still surprised that your posts continually surprise me with their breadth and how you open yourself to ALL of God's creation? The Dostoevsky quote had me tearing up; the very thought of BEAUTY saving the world took my breath away.

    Years ago when I was in a job so stressful I was breaking out in hives, I took a break one weekend and walked into the enormous civic building that was housing an annual arts festival. To this day I remember the sense of being knocked out by taking in the beauty that was thick in the air. I felt as though I was gulping in air that would keep me alive. I walked around for a couple of hours and by the time I left, I knew it was time for me to hand in my resignation. I eventually went to work in an art and frame gallery for a few years and was able to spend more time making art as well.
    And now the responsorial psalm that we sing for the feast of the Assumption, Ps. 45, is running through my head.

    THANK YOU for making my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful jewelery.

    And such an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really been enjoying the recent posts on winter identification. of native plants. This is actually very helpful and is an aspect of plant ID that not many folks consider.
    Thanks!Poroshshafi.

    Lawn Care Sugar Land
    Lawn Maintenance Sugar Land

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!