Saturday, May 12, 2012

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY





In Memoriam M.K.H., 1911-1984


When all the others were away at Mass
I was all hers as we peeled potatoes.
They broke the silence, let fall one by one
Like solder weeping off the soldering iron:
Cold comforts set between us, things to share
Gleaming in a bucket of clean water.
And again let fall. Little pleasant splashes
From each other's work would bring us to our senses.

So while the parish priest at her bedside
Went hammer and tongs at the prayers for the dying
And some were responding and some crying
I remembered her head bent towards my head,
Her breath in mine, our fluent dipping knives--
Never closer the whole rest of our lives.

--Seamus Heaney


Mom is recovering from a fall that left the whole left side of her face bruised.
She never complains.

8 comments:

  1. Have to reacquaint myself with that Irish poet (I'd say poet laureate but he turned that honour down). Well chosen. God bless all moms today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your Mom heals quickly. You look a lot like her.
    I love the poem by Seamus Heaney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Late on mother's day I learned my 82 year old mom, my dear friend, has cardiopulmonary disease. We will learn the severity at the follow-up up appointment. Time to peel potatoes together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late on mother's day I learned my 82 year old mom, my dear friend, has cardiopulmonary disease. We will learn the severity at the follow-up up appointment. Time to peel potatoes together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back from the library with a copy of *Opened Ground; Selected Poems 1966-1996* in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent a lot of time with my mom watching her cook; her memorable way mashing potatoes was to tilt her head to the left side as she tilted the pot half off the burner, stirring and whisking...then at some time during this exposition she would feel a hair of hers on her arm and she would ask me to remove it, her just pausing enough till my 'job' was completed, and then she would go on stirring and whisking...I treasure my "mom moments." Thanks, Heather, for yet another beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather King, I just discovered you. Don't fall apart on me now.

    If you do, I'll think it was my fault somehow.

    That article was brilliant and deserves broader circulation. Perhaps the article itself is an example of what it's about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha ha thanks XPat, don't worry, I am bloody but unbowed and WILL NOT BE MOVED...so glad you stumbled upon Shirt of Flame...lovely memory of your mother, Little Anne. Potatoes are where it's at...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!