Wednesday, May 16, 2012

BLUEBONNET SPRING



I was gonna put up a piece today I wrote for The Fix about the new documentary, Bill W., but I'm not seeing it, nor hearing from the editor over there.

So my mind has turned to May of '10 when I found myself tooling up the Gulf Coast Highway in Texas--well, actually Route 77, which is apparently a major drug-, gun-, money-, poached game- (everyone in that part of Texas--man, woman, and child--seemed to hunt), and people-running corridor--and listening to this Nanci Griffth tape I'd had for ages.  I didn't see a ton of bluebonnets but it was a thrill to actually be in the place the song was about. And of course, in a way, it's about everyplace...

"And when he dies 
he says he'll catch some blackbird's wing
Then she will fly away to Heaven, 
come some sweet bluebonnet spring"...

3 comments:

  1. I think you might like this: http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/the-story-of-ian-larissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw, the other day, that after 17 years Bonnie Raitt has released a new album! Good, good, good. Also got acopy of her "best of", 18 cuts. So, so good made me remember how much I liked her. Very similar to your girl in this post! That good ole blues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, yes! I grew up with Bonnie--and Chip, I finally had a chance to watch this incredible film. Larissa is Mary at the foot of the cross, was all I could think...the passage from John Piper was lovely as well. Thanks so much for passing this on...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!