Thursday, March 29, 2012

THE GUEST HOUSE


THE GUEST HOUSE

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

--Rumi



THANK YOU CHRISTINE!!! WELCOME HOME...

farewell palm springs, hello l.a.
my favorite tree waving goodbye...
till next time!

7 comments:

  1. Wish Steve would get that hair out of his face, it bugs the heck out of me. Can't get that song out of my head, tho. Been humming it for 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before entering the world of medicine and becoming a children's doc. I was an English major. And having discovered Heather's works, I am enjoying reading so much. I always love reading but it's a special delight to read about the Lord, His love and light and faithfulness.
    My mom died in '09 and after all our tumultuous years together, I loved her more than ever in our later years together. Thanks Heather, God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Heather: I am so sorry, but my comment has nothing to do with your post here, but oddly enough-I was watching a documentary, and I have to ask, do you have a cameo in "the nature of existence"? There is a woman in a theatre audience who is the spit of you. Just curious, and I love your blog so much. You, and the Crescat, and the Digital Hairshirt are my Catholic chick triumvirate. Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, beautiful people! Mimi, I was not in The Nature of Existence AS FAR AS I KNOW. But I ponder the question so frequently maybe my body beamed over to the movie set while I was sleeping!...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again...this is regarding my earlier comment. I will give it a rest after this, I promise. Your doppleganger is in the audience of a play by Joe Keyes, and when Joe is in his apartment, you can barely see a copy of "Parched" on his nightstand. I got eagle eyes, I'm tellin' ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mimi, yeah, I know Joe so that probably is me in the audience. What play did you see Parched on the nightstand? I helped him produce Big Baby...anyway, thanks for weighing in and God bless ya...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, it was "Big Baby"! The scene shown in "The Nature of Existence" was funny. I'd like to see the whole play. Bless.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!