Thursday, March 22, 2012

GARVAN BYRNE, CHILD SAGE



TODAY'S GOSPEL:

Mark 12:28-34

King James Version (KJV)
 28And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
 29And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
 30And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
 31And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
 32And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:
 33And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.
 34And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

GARVAN BYRNE, DYING 12-YEAR-OLD WITH INSIGHT, MIND, AND HEART OF SPIRITUALLY EVOLVED OCTOGENARIAN. I MYSELF AM SOMEWHAT RESISTANT TO "INSPIRATIONAL STORIES," ESPECIALLY OF TERMINALLY ILL CHILDREN, BUT THIS KID WAS TRULY NOT OF THIS WORLD....

PART 1: 9:58



PART 2: 5:03



PART 3: 6:38



EDITED VERSION: 8:15


8 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing child. I find it difficult to watch things like that without crying, but I found it very inspirational. His faith was so complete. It reminds me to gave thanks for the good things I have. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, thank you for sharing this tremendous gift, this almost surreal witness of how Christ can touch our humanity and render it luminous, simple, fearless, wise.

    Garvan does not seem to be of this world, as you note. And perhaps precisely because of such "otherworldliness" (an otherworldliness that is simultaneously so at home in the world), his genuine love for the world shines through all the more radiantly.

    He seems to have been sent to us as a little messenger, a little reminder that it is not impossible -- indeed, there seems to be no other truly human option -- to live "on earth as it is in heaven."

    And it's no wonder he should resonate with you, for he too is a tightrope walker of the infinite, feet firmly planted on earth but with roots in heaven, and thus able to balance in midair. With the vulnerability of a heart open and free.

    Thanks again,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this little mystic with us, Heather. I love how he described his heart to heart relationship with Jesus:
    "I like to pray with an open heart to get an open answer back."
    So inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This little saint is a rebuke to those who would sentimentalize children. His testimony is hauntingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think i want to show that to my 5 classes of seniors --what do you think--I think it is so profoundly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this thanks -a new fan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heck yeah, Maria, show it to your classes of seniors...thanks all for your comments, so glad you responded to the video as I did. As his mother said, this is the kind of surrender most of us seek, mostly without finding, our whole lives...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Heather,

    This extraordinary little person makes me think: "Why don't I have faith like that?" And then I thought of Flannery O'Connor saying, "I have never been anywhere but sick. In a sense sickness is a place, where there's no company, where nobody can follow. Sickness before death is a very appropriate thing and I think those who don't have it miss one of God's mercies." I agree with that, but because I have never had to live with a life-threatening illness, and I certainly wouldn't wish it on a little boy, I don't totally understand it. It's more of a mystery to me.

    Watching Garvan talk about Jesus I thought to myself, "It has to be true. Even the cosmos would not be so cruel to play such a trick on a little boy." Ivan Karamozov cannot believe in the goodness of God because of the suffering of children, but the suffering child can!

    Thank you,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!