Sunday, January 8, 2012

EPIPHANY


FOR THE ANNIVERSARY OF MY DEATH

            Every year without knowing it I have passed the day
            When the last fires will wave to me
            And the silence will set out
            Tireless traveller
            Like the beam of a lightless star
           
            Then I will no longer
            Find myself in life as in a strange garment
            Surprised at the earth
            And the love of one woman
            And the shamelessness of men
            As today writing after three days of rain
            Hearing the wren sing and the falling cease
            And bowing not knowing to what

--W.S. Merwin


6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful poem. Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite poets. Was simply blown away at one of his readings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally have difficulty with Mr Merwin's poetry, but I must agree with the first three commenters: this poem is a splendor and an excellence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather--I am a new reader--just started reading Shirt of Flame and also came across your Epiphany Star reflection in Magnificat this weekend. Is the full text posted anywhere online? I have been searching and can't find it--I would love to share with family and friends. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there--email me at hdking719@aol.com and I'll send it to you--

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!