Wednesday, November 23, 2011

IN THANKSGIVING FOR MY NAME


"Eh! We're on the moor now sure enough," said Mrs. Medlock.

The carriage lamps shed a yellow light on a rough-looking road which seemed to be cut through bushes and low-growing things which ended in the great expanse of dark apparently spread out before and around them. A wind was rising and making a singular, wild, low, rushing sound.

"It's--it's not the sea, is it?" said Mary, looking around at her companion.

"No, not it," answered Mrs. Medlock. "Nor it isn't fields nor mountains, it's just miles and miles of wild land that nothing grows on but heather and gorse and broom, and nothing lives on it but wild ponies and sheep."

"I feel as if it might be the sea, if there were water on it," said Mary. "It sounds like the sea just now."

"That's the wind blowing through the bushes," Mrs. Medlock said. "It's a wild, dreary enough place to my mind, though there's plenty that lies it--particularly when the heather's in bloom."

--from The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett

HEATHER MOORS
ISLE OF ERISKA
photo: Dennis Hardley
I'm gonna be on Barbara DeMarco Barrett's radio show "Writers on Writing" today, live at 9 a.m. PST. Listen in while you mash your pumpkin here...

9 comments:

  1. And we, your readers and friends, are thankful for you. Have a blessed holiday, Heather King!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like George said, so thankful. What a great story about your name. Your posts are crafted so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your writings, your blog and your insights. You have been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago, when I'd watch PTL, Vestal Goodman had heaven-high hair and a vibrato wide enough to drive a Sherman tank through. Age has subdued her here.

    Happy Thanksgiving, wee Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thx for the pics and your writing.
    Don't want to rain on your parade, but are you quite sure about those brussel sprouts?
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving Heather. Thank you for your blog and yes, I like brussel sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin! Am I QUITE SURE about the Brussel sprouts!!?? I have made them and am about to bring them over to my friend's and they are UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS. No, really...

    And "heaven-high hair"--now, that is is something to aspire to...

    Happy Thanksgiving, dear readers and friends...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Ms. King, Your recent book has inspired me to open a challenge to people at my parish. I was going to suggest that over the next year...those that are interested...take each "month" of your book to focus our lives on the principals for the month. My question to you is a) is there a "workbook" version of your book; b) I do not want to violate any copyright or infringe upon you...is there anything I should do in advance of presenting this "challenge"; c) are you ever near or in Ohio and could address our group? Thank you and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Bonnie, how delightful to know the people at your parish might be reading Shirt of Flame--thanks for spearheading...there's no workbook so you can design your program whatever way you want...and use whatever material you want from the book though obviously from my end it would be nice if people bought it.

    I'm in L.A.--no immediate plans to travel to Ohio butcha never know. I post travel plans, if any, on the UPCOMING page of my website, heather-king.com.

    Many thanks for your interest!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!