Friday, November 25, 2011

"COMING AWAKE IN LOVE": MY INTERVIEW IN DAPPLED THINGS

Here's my interview about the genesis and writing of Shirt of Flame in the current issue of Dappled Things: A Quarterly of Ideas, Art and Faith.

Get the inside story here!

Sample:
I also had a huge conflict over the cover, which I find intensely incongruent with my own sensibility, and especially with the sensibility and spirituality of St. Thérèse. It’s a chick-lit, pastel cover, designed to be bland and non-threatening, the only redeeming feature of which is that it is slightly—but only slightly—less offensive than the one originally proposed, which was a la-la-la New Age girl in a swirly dress floating through an acid-green, flower-strewn pasture. That kind of Disney Christ cover says nothing that can be argued with and also nothing that’s remotely truthful, compelling, interesting, challenging, original, or real. Spirituality to me is blood, sinew, tendon, a heart nailed to a cross.

So there! Thanks to editor Katy Carl and all best wishes to the lovely Dappled Things.

And thanks to my friends Julia and Aaron for having me, as they have for many years, at their Thanksgiving banquet...

FIVE OF THE TEN PUMPKIN PIES,
HOME-MADE BY JULIA,
THAT WE DROVE AROUND AND DISTRIBUTED TO FOLKS LIVING ON THE STREET
WEDNESDAY NIGHT

4 comments:

  1. Heather,
    I see what you mean about the SOF cover, although I hadn't considered it before. It must be hard to negotiate over something like that. Had I not heard you on Al Kresta I would never have bought the book, especially since the cover is rather feminine.
    That having been said, I think the entire package (cover, lovely pb book with flaps front and back) works well, particularly when paired up with your raw, intimately engaging writing. Kind of an ironic juxtaposition between cover and content -- pretty on the outside and deceptively hardball on the inside. It works!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tour de force, Heather! Amazing insights everywhere.

    "Finally, there is no way around the cross".
    -Andrew Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you & Julia & Aaron for being mindful of our brethren who live on the street!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!