Wednesday, October 19, 2011

HOPE WITHIN DARKNESS

ACROSS FROM THE GROVER BEACH, CALIFORNIA AMTRAK STATION, 7 A.M.
Word on Fire is running an excerpt today from my fresh-off-the-presses memoir Shirt of Flame: A Year with St. Therese of Lisieux.

Here's the link.

Here's another excerpt I recently ran myself.

And here I must, or at any rate WILL, implore your help. If you enjoy the blog, or my books or any of my writing, and the spirit moves, please feel free to tell another friend, or to pass on my book, or write a review in your own blog, or archdiocesan newspaper, or literary mag, or to do whatever you all publicity-savvy and/or book-loving folks do. Thank you so much! Thanks to ALL who have bought my book and offered such generous feedback, support, insight...And of course thanks to St. Thérèse.

Finally, here's a reflection from Richard Rohr:

HOPE WITHIN DARKNESS

Christians indeed have a strange image of God: a naked, bleeding man, dying on a cross. It’s not what you would think the image of God could be or should be. Is God eccentric here, or is it we who have not diagnosed the human situation correctly?

Jesus receives our hatred and does not return it. He suffers and does not make the other suffer. He does not first look at changing others, but pays the price of change within himself. He absorbs the mystery of human sin rather than passing it on. He does not use his suffering and death as power over others to punish them, but as power for others to transform them. He includes and forgives the sinner instead of hating him, which would only continue the pattern of hate. Amazing that people cannot see that!

It’s interesting that Jesus identifies forgiveness with breathing (John 20: 22-23), the one thing that you have done constantly since you were born and will do until you die. He says God’s forgiveness is like breathing. Forgiveness is not apparently something God does; it is who God is. God can do no other.


Adapted from Hope Against Darkness:
The Transforming Vision of Saint Francis in an Age of Anxiety, pp. 27, 30-31, by Richard Rohr

6 comments:

  1. I bought a couple to donate to the city library, though word-of-mouth (word-of-blog?) is likely the best advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for it to be published in the UK - end of November apparently! I've already told quite a few friends and family about Parched and Redeemed and very happy to do the same with Shirt Of Flame. Your writing is such a blessing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 'Shirt of Flame' so much it makes me ache. I'm presently reading it for the second time in a row.

    I have it listed on the sidebar of my blog, and have mentioned it to many friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remembered-I have a Barnes and Noble gift card-it was a birthday gift-so I have placed on hold your
    book at my nearest Barnes and Noble. I didn't know it was in paperback until you told me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is so nice! I am thrilled to think of someone donating my book to his or her local library, and of Lizzie reading it in the UK, and that Therese is reading it for the second time, and that Barbara is using her gift card at B & Noble...I do think word of mouth is the best way. Attraction, not promotion...always a tough call re doing what footwork I can, letting it be known without (I hope) being pushy or shrill, and leaving the rest to the universe...thank you all so much. As Meister Eckhart said, 'If the only prayer we ever said was 'thank you,' that would be enough.' And if I have even one reader, that would somehow be enough,too... too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Your book is so beautiful. I am trying not to rush through it because each chapter says so much but it is hard! I just want to keep going! I suppose it's a good lesson in self-control! I have read The Story of a Soul twice and feel like I understand it so much better through your book. You are truly gifted! I have your book on Kindle and am giving one to my sister, another St. Terese fan. Thank you for taking the time to write this beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!