Thursday, September 29, 2011

BROTHER PAUL QUENON


DETAIL OF COWLS ON PEGS
PHOTO: BROTHER PAUL QUENON
Brother Paul has been a monk at the Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky since 1958.

My Novices: late 1950s
Young men came
looking for
–don’t know what–
Left the place
looking for
-don’t know what–
Of these I had no regrets.
Some came, seemed like
looking–
heard some talk about
-what-
stayed awhile
and left
talking like– Well,–
like somewhat.
Serious young men came looking.
took up talk about,
-don’t know what,
stayed long and left
talking
about everything what-not.
Some came completely
clear and sure about
what–
Those I sent away.
Silent young men, a few,
came looking for–
don’t know what-
stayed
and kept on looking
stayed and never got to
what–
wore out,
died,
had never stopped looking for
what–
For these I have no regrets.
All of these I loved, but
seems the part I loved the best
was–
don’t know what–
Br. Paul discusses his book of poems, Monkswear:

6 comments:

  1. Not to go off topic, but I will any way, will your new book become available on Kindle or another ebook format? Congrats on its appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Heather,

    Happy St. Therese Day!! I just purchased "Shirt of Flame" today in her honor and to thank you for your writing which you share so generously. I continue to be nourished, challenged, amazed, and amused at the many and varied ways you write about striving for everyday holiness. And BLESSED!

    Love that you highlighted Br. Paul. A friend sent me the book "Holy Folly" which he contributed to. The few reviews on Amazon are not very positive, save one, but I found them to be an eye-opener about the humanity of the motley collection of men attempting to live out a monastic vocation.

    Keep on your path of discovery! With many of your posts, I feel like I have the thrill of holding on to the back of a vehicle going on an adventure. Who knows what will unfold the next time you write?

    God bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. question answered, it is on Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, fellas!-it is out on kindle, Robert: http://www.amazon.com/Shirt-Flame-Year-Therese-Lisieux/dp/1557258082/ref=pd_sim_b_2

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!