Monday, July 18, 2011

PHOTO OF MY BIRTH

WHITE SANDS, NEW MEXICO
ERNST HASS, 1952

I always knew I had a New Mexico connection. And even though I was ACTUALLY born in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, 59 years ago today, I feel quite sure, especially since I am IN New Mexico at the moment, that this photo very nicely captures the COSMIC nature of the event....

I also think it was very nice of God to let me be born in my favorite month, especially my favorite month in ordinarily freezing cold New England. And in a hospital that at the time overlooked a beautiful estuary, leading to the sea, and old colonial houses, and with the smell of salt air, and at the edge of a continent, and I have lived at one edge or another of the continent ever since.

THE OLD PORTSMOUTH HOSPITAL,
UP ON THE HILL TO THE RIGHT
FEBRUARY
ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RVER
What can you say at this point except you're grateful you made it this far? And that there's another day of the year that will one day be special to us but we won't know till then, if at all...

For the Anniversary of My Death
            
            Every year without knowing it I have passed the day
            When the last fires will wave to me
            And the silence will set out
            Tireless traveller
            Like the beam of a lightless star
           
            Then I will no longer
            Find myself in life as in a strange garment
            Surprised at the earth
            And the love of one woman
            And the shamelessness of men
            As today writing after three days of rain
            Hearing the wren sing and the falling cease
            And bowing not knowing to what

--W.S. Merwin

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Heather- have a good one !
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy birthday, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Heather! Many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Heather!

    Thank you for the poem by Merwin, our poet laureate. He's one of my favorites. I once had the pleasure, decades ago, to sit at his feet with several other young, aspiring poets at the home of my creative writing professor. Poignant that he bows to an unknown God. I pray for his conversion to the one true God.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Heather.
    Enjoy your journey.

    And Merwin-yes:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Heather. May this season of celebration be just a shadow of the joys ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, everybody! I had a beautiful birthday and did not even mention it here on the retreat but had many greetings from far and wide, and love having the memorial of Mary Magdalene in the same week, and of course we are always being born anew and thus every day is in a sense everyone's birthday...

    such are my VERY DEEP thoughts after a week of St. Therese!...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!