Monday, July 11, 2011

COYOTE MOUNTAIN





And what about the ranch,
the little ranch, in New Mexico?
The time is different there...
--D.H. Lawrence, "A Little Moonshine with Lemon" (1926)

I'm at the top of a mountain, outside the village of Valdez, in New Mexico.

From the lighting fixtures, inside and out, to the solarium on the second floor that affords a 360-degree view of the mountains and sky (and with its own deck), to the air that smells of mesquite and juniper, the place where I'm staying is incredible.

I'll read more of a book by Iain Matthew, abbot of a Carmelite monastery in Dublin: The Impact of God: Soundings from St. John of the Cross

But for the moment, now that I've seen the sun rise, I'm going back to bed.

4 comments:

  1. So you watched the sunrise in Taos. Have you ever heard so many birds chirping in your life? St. Francis of Assisi is the patron of New Mexico so maybe there is a connection. I hope while you are there you manage to make a visit to El Santuario de Chimayo, on the high road between Taos and Santa Fe.

    http://www.elsantuariodechimayo.us/indexAlt.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, right down to the 2 ozs. of cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smiled when I read your aside about Georgia O'Keeffe.

    Are you familiar with Agnes Martin? I'm ashamed to admit I only learned about her last year. Like O'Keeffe, she lived in isolation in New Mexico. But she built her own house - I mean, really built it. Her quietude and aesthetic make O'Keeffe look like a tabloid queen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I watched the hummingbirds and the crows this morning..I have been to El Santuario de Chimayo a couple of times and scooped up a bit of that healing dirt...I'm not sure how long I'm going to be here but if for several weeks I may get there again (the place I'm staying at is so lovely at the moment I'm finding it hard to see how I'm ever going to want to leave)...

    Bill, I have heard of Agnes Martin--there's at least one documentary about her that they show periodically, or did last year, at the Harwood Museum, though I didn't get a chance to catch it. I don't know much about her but am intrigued. And I of course DID appreciate that G. O'Keeffe you sent me!...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!