Friday, April 29, 2011

THE WEEK IN REVIEW

MORNING SON REFLECTED ON COURTYARD WALL
VIEW FROM MY BEDROOM  

1. ARS LONGA

By Hilde Domin

The breath
in a bird's throat
breath of air
in the branches.

The word
like the wind itself
its holy breath
goes in and out.

Always the breath finds
branches
clouds
throat of birds.

Always the word
the holy word
in a mouth.

--trans. by Agnes Stein

2. "That belief in Christ is to some a matter of life and death has been a stumbling block for readers who would prefer to think it a matter of no great consequence. For them Hazel Motes’ integrity lies in his trying with such vigor to get rid of the ragged figure who moves from tree to tree in the back of his mind. For the author, Hazel’s integrity lies in his not being able to."

--Flannery O'Connor, from the preface to Wise Blood

3. "Have you nothing to annoy you? My child, tell Me your annoyances, with every detail. Who has pained you? Who has wounded your self-love? Who has treated you contemptuously? Tell Me all, and then say that you forgive and forget; and I will give you my blessing."
--From a pamphlet entitled "A Meditation Before the Blessed Sacrament," sent by "Rose"


4. Exchange between me and my 9-year-old niece after she FB-friended me:
"Savannah, you darling girl! What is iPigWorld if you please?"
"it an AWESOME app that you make a pig name and its color. its so awesome!! how are you"

5. Excellent review by Rod Dreher of the film about the martyred Algerian monks Of Gods and Men.
--Contributed by "Philip"

6. Video clip of Good Friday procession, in silence, from Brooklyn's St. James Cathedral across the Brooklyn Bridge to City Hall, Ground Zero, and St. Peter's in Manhattan.
Newscaster: "What does this mean to you?"
Anonymous member of the faithful: "Everything"...

Good Friday Way of the Cross in NYC: MyFoxNY.com
7.SNAKEBIT
"Having a passion makes it easier to stay sober...This feels like I'm always having to grow. I can't write the same song twice. I always have to go into a place I don't understand and figure out something...The challenge of writing is so profound that it's gonna take me the rest of my life to start to get good at it...I'm gett'n better...I think it takes a long time...it takes a long time"...

4 comments:

  1. Heather, I recently read "Wise Blood" so was totally drawn to that particular quick take. I had no idea what it was about so was rather captivated by the inherent message. But I'd forgotten that beginning bit. Thanks for the reminder! This was my first Flannery read. I know, I know, it's overdue, but at least I'm getting around to it, finally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My niece's meditation (http://calebandmelodysfamily.blogspot.com/2011/04/princess-watching.html) on watching the royal wedding might pique your interest. She wonders about her own status as an adopted daughter of the King of kings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, foot of the cross: that's what a princess, or actually queen, looks like...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!