|MORNING SON REFLECTED ON COURTYARD WALL|
VIEW FROM MY BEDROOM
By Hilde Domin
in a bird's throat
breath of air
in the branches.
like the wind itself
its holy breath
goes in and out.
Always the breath finds
throat of birds.
Always the word
the holy word
in a mouth.
--trans. by Agnes Stein
2. "That belief in Christ is to some a matter of life and death has been a stumbling block for readers who would prefer to think it a matter of no great consequence. For them Hazel Motes’ integrity lies in his trying with such vigor to get rid of the ragged figure who moves from tree to tree in the back of his mind. For the author, Hazel’s integrity lies in his not being able to."
--Flannery O'Connor, from the preface to Wise Blood
3. "Have you nothing to annoy you? My child, tell Me your annoyances, with every detail. Who has pained you? Who has wounded your self-love? Who has treated you contemptuously? Tell Me all, and then say that you forgive and forget; and I will give you my blessing."
--From a pamphlet entitled "A Meditation Before the Blessed Sacrament," sent by "Rose"
4. Exchange between me and my 9-year-old niece after she FB-friended me:
"Savannah, you darling girl! What is iPigWorld if you please?"
"it an AWESOME app that you make a pig name and its color. its so awesome!! how are you"
5. Excellent review by Rod Dreher of the film about the martyred Algerian monks Of Gods and Men.
--Contributed by "Philip"
6. Video clip of Good Friday procession, in silence, from Brooklyn's St. James Cathedral across the Brooklyn Bridge to City Hall, Ground Zero, and St. Peter's in Manhattan.
Newscaster: "What does this mean to you?"Anonymous member of the faithful: "Everything"...
Good Friday Way of the Cross in NYC: MyFoxNY.com
"Having a passion makes it easier to stay sober...This feels like I'm always having to grow. I can't write the same song twice. I always have to go into a place I don't understand and figure out something...The challenge of writing is so profound that it's gonna take me the rest of my life to start to get good at it...I'm gett'n better...I think it takes a long time...it takes a long time"...